Death of beloved ones

Way back in December 1990, my parents joined me at Kolkata to attend a wedding in my sister's in-laws family. My marriage was slated to take place in March 1991. My parents were in a hurry to go back to Kochi to attend another wedding but I persuaded them to stay on. I requested to return on the earliest date confirmed tickets were available on the direct train. As a result I could enjoy their company for four weeks.

I used to go for long walks with my dad around the lakes of South Kolkata. We used to walk at a rapid pace ( I still do ! ) and one of my colleagues who had seen us from a distance could not believe that it was my dad who was giving me company. Not only was he very fit, he had a youngish look about him with a mane of thick hair. Little did I know that these were the last few days I would spend in his company.

His sudden demise in late January 1991 of a cardiac arrest came as a bomb shell. Death of beloved one very close to the schedule for my marriage left us rattled and groping. A number of neighbours and friends felt that there was some mix up in the message of demise they received. My grand old grandma was with us and they felt that something would have happened to her and the same was conveyed in a mixed up manner little realising that , as a rule, death does not obey chronology.

My marriage went off on schedule. But my dad's sudden demise haunted the close family.My wife had spent several days with my dad after our engagement in mid 1990 and she was also crestfallen. We picked up threads from where my dad had left and slowly got back to the daily routine. After my dad's demise, any news of sudden demise has seldom shocked me.

I accompanied my sister and brother in law yesterday to meet the members of his uncle's family who were bereaved last week. We had lunch at their place and had a hilarious time. We all recounted lighter moments in our life. I recounted the comic moments I faced in Mumbai in 1983 mostly arising out of my poor Hindi though the incident which landed me Central Railway Police lock up after I was caught travelling in ladies first class compartment ( I got into into the compartment inadvertently but nobody believed me then. Nobody believes me now too ! ) was the most amusing for the group. We spent half a day with the huge family of three sons and daughters of the uncle and the grand children. There was never a dull moment. We returned with a joy which even the best Laurel and Hardy movie could have evoked.

The family of this uncle had enjoyed his company and wisdom as the next generation grew up. The long time he had spent with the large family was the best healer to overcome his departure. Time was the healer which helped me to overcome my dad's sudden demise. It took me long time to get healed.

Comments

  1. Yeah, this topic is quite touching. Yes, it happens in everyone's life. My dad passed away in 1985 just 3 years after my graduation.

    I was there in Chennai from 22nd June 09 till 25th June 09 - this time my mom passed away on 23rd June 09.

    Time is the healer for many things and especially in the case of death of beloved ones.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut, the wonder fruit - Nostalgia !

School days

At war for cricket