Why I went to IIMA. Did it help ?

I was exhausted “academically” when I finished BE Hons in Guindy in 1982.

I was keen to work. First job turned out to be boring though the team was young.
My dad had a four break while at school and completed his schooling late. He stood first in school in SSLC. He went to Madras and secured a job in railways. He was keen I should study further. But I was not.
I was clear I was not made to be an engineer. I made an attempt to secure admission to par- time MBA in a leading college but failed. Our boss was from IIT Madras and IIMC. He used to ask me now and then, ” Is this all you want to do ?”
In 1984, my colleague Balan secured admission to IIMC. Balan went away to IIMC little realising that he would prove an inspiration. I told my dad I would make full hearted maiden attempt at CAT 1985. My motivation ? More than getting out of the humdrum job, I wanted to do something which would do him proud and that something should not be easy for others to achieve.
Result?
If somebody was to pick up 25 batchmates who could make to IIMA from our Guindy batch of 300 , my name would not figure in it. And I was the only one who went to IIMA from my batch. I got into IIMB and IIMC too.
My dad and family were happy and proud. I was happy. All those close to us were happy with “One from our midst made it to IIMA’ feeling.
What did I achieve with my PGDM? Precious little. I moved from job to job and did not make a career. I do not have an essential ingredient required for a career- AMBITION. Be satisfied with what you have is not a good torch for ambition. Some whom I worked with did mention there was something odd about me but could not point out what it was.I made no attempt to get to the right of bosses and people of influence. Now I know what is missing in me.
I hardly mention my educational background wherever I have worked .I found others expectation from my educational qualification unbearable. Most would ask,” You are from IIMA ? What are you doing here ?”
Have I accumulated wealth ? No. I have to work for some more years.
Do I regret that I did not put my educational qualification to good use in a career ? No. I am what I am. There were phases in 1996-1998 and 2002- 2008 period I wringed my hands in despair but got over them by calm thinking
Was there a turning point? Yes. Heading and setting up 108 emergency ambulance services in TN in 2008-2009 was the turning point. I discovered the ability to write there. I broke from a lot of imaginary ropes holding me back. I got to know what I was capable of.
I have worked 32 years since my PGDM and am still working. The longest stint was 9 years followed by another of 7 years. I am glad my employability coefficient has gone up steeply in this decade !
I have “ prospered” with my PGDM in another way. I have made a lot of friends across batches through my IIMA connect. This has given me happiness. Is my happiness confined to friendship with only alumni of IIMA ? No. No.No. I am happy with all my friends all across the spectrum.
Over the years I have learnt how to write well. I have learnt to talk well. Did my PGDM help me in these abilities? Yes - whenever I write or speak in a structured manner.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut, the wonder fruit - Nostalgia !

School days

At war for cricket