What they do not teach in IIMA

I went to IIMA after three years work experience. Campus placement was not easy for those with work experience as our names did not figure in the short list of leading companies who were on “fresher” only mode. Most of the oldies got offers much after the crème de la crème were placed.

My final interview was a different city and I flew for the first time. The interview with MD was informal. I was offered a cup of tea in a stylish manner ( I had to do half the process of tea making without spilling. Over the years I have managed to avoid such tea drinking as I have not developed the spit an polish demanded of a a true professional . I prefer the overboiled ready to drink tea ).

Everything went well .MD asked me about the job I held before joining IIMA. Then the tide turned churning the tea I had consumed. MD popped an innocuous question - Now that you have completed MBA from IIMA, if you were to go back to same job, how differently would you do it ? “ I did not like the job”  would have been my response under less ceremonious occasions but I was forced to marry a bit of “management “ I learnt and blurt out a response. I felt out of my skin for a few moments. Luckily discussion moved to simpler topics.

There was another googly that day- this was  from director – business development. A question I should have anticipated but did not. I sweated out a feeble response which was far off the mark. The question again was  innocuous – Why do organisations need managers ? What role does a manager play ? I got to know the answer from him. This gentleman was from IIMC and I was wondered whether it was a “clash” of superiority which prompted this question.

The MD and Director-corporate felt their questions did not merit a cogent response and I got an offer of appointment ! It is a different story that  I did not join the organisation and took another “dicey” offer- not a topic for public discussion !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut, the wonder fruit - Nostalgia !

School days

At war for cricket