An unusual childhood activity


My Andhra athai's ( bua )  last son Murali fell into viraku aduppu ( firewood choola ) when he was around three years old leaving him with 50% burns.  He was two years older than me.

He used to be brought often to Madras for a fortnight's confinement and treatment at children's ward in Stanley Medical College  Hospital, popularly known then as 'kanji thotti'. Superintendent there was a close family friend.  

I used to be in Chennai during my long  holiday breaks at school in Kerala. If Murali was admitted during such school breaks,  I used to go and stay with him wearing hospital dress and sharing his cot.  We used to play with all the kids in the ward. Of course, we ate 'sick diet' served by hospital kitchen.

I can not think of such a possibility now.

This was in 1960s.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut, the wonder fruit - Nostalgia !

ISO 9000/9001/9002

School days