Fighter

Any individual suffering from difficult diseases must have spirit to fight them. Medicine and therapy would not have much effect on a dispirited and listless patient. It is the combination of fighting spirit, medicine and therapy which helps patient to overcome the disease of affliction.

My landlady is an epitome for fighting qualities. She had her first brush with the dreaded disease some years back. She was operated upon and subjected to post operative chemotherapy. She suffered a relapse couple of years back and was again operated upon and administered the cycle of chemotherapy. All on all, she has undergone twenty sessions of chemotherapy which could drain anybody physically and mentally.

Somewhere towards the last months of last year, the dreaded disease spread to her lungs and the doctors felt she would not survive for than a month, all the near and dear ones were called and she spent a few days with them.

My landlady has something which doctors can not inject or prescribe. It is her fighting spirit. It is more than a year since she has been pronounced to be terminally ill. She looks a bit weak but is always in high spirits. She does not have the energy to sit around or walk around for hours together. She moves around the house and is always in high spirits. Every now and then she will go and take a nap. She goes out with her husband for social functions where she spends an hour or so seated.

I leave early in the morning for long walks. Sometimes I can hear her coughing when I climb down the stairs. She does not want to disturb her husband and is usually at the dining table without switching on the lights. I could reach this surmise from the direction from where the sound of her cough emanates. Her husband also does not show the strain or difficulty he is passing through.

I spend a few minutes with my landlady when ever I see her sitting in the verandah or the door of her dining room which opens to the staircase I use is open and she is seated at the dining table. She is a gutsy person and that gives me plenty of food for thought.

My landlady has shown what a fighter can achieve.We should not give up without a fight.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut, the wonder fruit - Nostalgia !

School days

At war for cricket