Dog - man's best friend

New location brings in new pressures. One has to make to new friends in social circles. Since I stay alone at Jaipur , I know only my landlord and his better half other than my colleagues in work place though it has been two months since I landed here.

But I have a new friend though. My landlord has a six year jet black Labrador. He is a friendly chap and realized that I was going to be a permanent resident. Specs as he is called is an example for the adage do not judge a person by looks. He looks ferocious.

For a few days he used to growl when I opened the gate but would keep quiet on seeing me. His expression and gait on such occasions must be seen to be believed. The moment he spots me he would immediately put his head down and walk sheepishly towards me wagging his tail vigorously. It is his way of saying sorry for barking.

Spending time with Specs is a bright spot in the morning. He would come to me as I get down the staircase and come out into the open space. He would stand rubbing his body against my legs and would look up. I usually massage his back and neck. Sometimes he would sit on his hind legs encouraging me to run my hand over his head.

On occasions he would be lying down when I open the gate on my way back home. Specs would wag his tail vigorously though he would be facing the other way. My landlord says that Specs knows my smell now even from a distance and hence the sign of recognition by wagging his tail despite not seeing me.

Massaging Spec when he is resting is fun. I would massage his back for a few moments. Then he would lie prostrate on his back exposing his underbelly with an approving growl. This posture with his limbs tucked back reminds me of babies flaying their arms and legs tempting us to pick them up. He would not move an inch while his underbelly is massaged but all the while he would wag his tail appreciation.


Specs is a jealous guy. There is a Labrador in the next house named Sugar. She is born of the same litter as Specs. She is brown in colour and is very friendly too. She would come up to me to be patted but Specs would block her way and start nudging her away in a friendly manner. Specs does not allow Sugar to spend more than few moments with me.

The only time Specs indicates that his ancestors were wild animals is when he is being fed. He does not like anybody disturbing him while he is eating. He growls in an aggressive way if I go anywhere near his food.

Specs is very duty conscious. If there is any strange noise or somebody opens the door when he is enjoying being massaged, he would immediately get up and stand motionless in keen observation. His folded ears would move around slowly in various directions like slow moving radar. His folded ears would stop moving once he has made an assessment of the intruder. Either he would relax or move forward and bark depending upon the decision he takes based on the input his sensory organs gives him.

Overall Specs is a great guy and interesting to spend time with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut, the wonder fruit - Nostalgia !

School days

At war for cricket