Mad Rush

In our mad rush everyday we forget to enjoy the world around us. We are lost in our thoughts and move without observing things around us.

There was a restaurant four blocks away from my residence which used to open till 11 pm. I was late returning home a few days back and decided to grab a quick dinner there . It was around 10 pm when most of the shops had downed the shutters. To my surprise, I could not locate the restaurant. The shop next to the restaurant is an ice cream parlour which was still open. But the restaurant had gone and there was a film processing centre in its place. I would have passed that way umpteen times but I had not notice this change hardly a hundred feet from my residence.

My residence is not far from my place of work and I drive along the famous Marina Beach from end to end on my way to office. Recently I stole a glance at the beach and suddenly remembered that it had been several weeks since I had glanced in that direction. Several ships were anchored at sea waiting for berths the port and several groups of youngsters were playing cricket. The sight of the gleaming ocean was a welcome relief to the mundane things one gets to see every day. The silhouette of Madras University situated at the end of the beach stretch was beckoning.

Stress bursters are available all around us if we care to take a few minutes off everyday from our mad meaningless rush. There are several quite spaces with the canopy of large trees providing shade through out the day. There are several spots in the city where life flows at a sedate pace. There are some quaint old builidngs in some quiet streets.

And what do we achieve by rushing around madly every day ?

That reminds me the poem “Leisure” by William Henry Davies.

What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

No time to stand beneath the boughs
And stare as long as sheep or cows.

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night.

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance.

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began.

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.

*******

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coconut, the wonder fruit - Nostalgia !

School days

At war for cricket